Slowing Down, from the Fred Rogers April 2022 newsletter
February 14, 2022
Valentine’s Day 2022
Happy Valentine’s Day! And nothing says “I love you!” like crafting with your little ones! Have a child who loves butterflies? We are sure they will enjoy this sweet butterfly craft.
As you work on this craft together, you can help your child take ownership of their work and make it a learning activity too! Some questions or prompts to ask might include:
- What supplies do you think we need?
- Can you find the… (and list the supplies as you go)?
- Which color do you want your butterfly to be?
- Please show me how you hold scissors safely.
- How many googly eyes should we add? Let’s count it out!
- red or pink acrylic paint
- Pink (or red) and white construction paper
- school glue
- googly eyes
- white pipe cleaners
- hot glue gun (to glue the eyes and pipe cleaners on)
- Paint the clothespins red or pink and allow them to dry completely.
- While drying, cut out large heart shapes (connected in the middle) from pink (or red) and cut smaller heart shapes from white construction paper.
- Glue the smaller white hearts onto the larger pink (or red) hearts. Pinch them with the dried clothespin.
- Use your hot glue gun to attach the googly eyes and pipe cleaner antennae.
- All done! Give it as a gift or keep it to enjoy yourself!
Image and craft idea from: https://gluesticksgumdrops.com/heart-butterfly-craft/